Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Reflection, Direction

Both Carolyn and I are thinking we'll push CLUSTER into the new year, so before our brains go on complete holiday, I want to get a few (possibly off topic) points down:

Women: Carolyn and I both spend a lot of time thinking about women. How they code, how they communicate, how they integrate with male engineers on and off the academic or professional clock. Carolyn goes so far as to blog about it over at tech-women.blogspot.com and one post she made this quarter (The After Hours Old Boys Club) really resonated.

In general, I don't discuss technical things with my engineer friends outside of our direct academic interactions. Color me weird, but networks and compilers don't whip me into a frenzy of off hour excitement, certainly not at the level that it draws many of my (predominantly male) colleagues. So it's been somewhat of a change of pace for us because we talk about CLUSTER all the time. When we're in lab, when we're at lunch, when we're out beering... it's always there, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time for both me and Carolyn that we've been completely absorbed in and engaged by a technical project. I won't do myself or women the disservice of drawing conclusions, I probably shouldn't have even started this observation on the "women" note, but I think that the connection is not irrelevant.

Experience Sampling: Our competition is dealing with location and privacy in a MUCH looser way than we are. We'd love to get our hands on their user studies, but that isn't really an option. More realistically, we need to get our hands on some of those smart phones and do another round (or five) of experience sampling, preferably in some statistically legitimate manner. Also, I didn't like the ESM tool, so I'd like to find out more about their thought process there, and what sort of flexibility it has. Also, I want to know more about phone APIs.

The Whole Design: I don't think we like it.

The "look": We need one.

I lost steam, I don't have the blogging brain bit that Carolyn possesses, more posting later, more pudding now,

Sierra

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Studies have indicated that woman in CS are more likely to be interested in social relevant work. Maybe Cluster is addressing that issue for the women on your team?